Thursday, September 3, 2015

"It's not an emergency"

So I've survived. I've survived my boy getting on a bus and heading to my school. I even survived working 4 days myself. Exhausted and sweaty (why is it so hoottttt) but I survived.

If you've never worked in a school- all the "back to school" posts and "I'm so tired" teachers- sound ridiculous.

 I mean, most people didn't just have a 2 month vacation. Most people worked all summer. 

What are you whining about?!

But let me assure you, facing a new crop of kids who likely forgot how to listen, walk in a line, and even read over the summer is exhausting!

The beginning of the school year is a bit different for me. As an SLP, I don't stand in front of 20+ kids and "re-train" their brains from day 1.

Instead, I sit in front of piles of schedules and IEP's and evaluation paperwork. I coordinate a week of service delivery  with 15 different teachers and service providers. I look for ways to squeeze in 
speech and language therapy or inclusion in between Math, ELA, science, social studies, art, library, music, physical education and health all while avoiding 
lunch and recess and ahhhhhhhhhhh...


On top of that there are new students' whose IEP's are either missing or need to be input into the computer, there are kindergarten kiddos to be screened (lots of them- always lots of them) and those evaluations you never got to in June. 


September is usually a very stressful month for me because of all this craziness. I forget what I love about my job because I'm not actually doing anything I love about my job! Not a fun re-entry.

But this year I had a revelation.

This year- 12 years into this gig- I realized ... It's not an emergency! Everything will get done, it always does (usually within the mandated timelines, too!) but- it's not an emergency!

It's not an emergency. 

No need to run around crazy or lock myself in my office with tight shoulders and a stress headache. 

No need to sneak to the teachers room to find naughty things to eat to comfort myself.

It's not an emergency. 

And because of my lowered stress and increased productivity- I managed to create a workable schedule in 1 day. 

1 day!

It used to take me 2 weeks (and that's when I thought it was an emergency!)

I'm not sure if it's our social group big problem/ little problem practice rubbing off on me- or if it's experience or perspective- but I get it now.

The to-do list doesn't need to be checked off before it's written, and the big pile of evals eventually goes down, and the IEP's get written, and the kids get their speech time. 

It all happens as it should and it's not an emergency!

(Insert deep breath here)

Happy long weekend to my tired teacher  friends! Rest your feet and your voices.

If you need me, I'll be writing goals in attendance sheets 😳

1 comment: