Saturday, August 29, 2015

Country Fest and Lessons Learned

This story starts and some point in the Spring. I received a text from a friend asking if I wanted to attend a Kenny Chesney concert in August.

"Sure!" I responded enthusiastically! I had recently become a country- music lover and had been wanting to make the leap and attend a country concert. 

Pop the cherry- if you will. 

Fast forward to August and I discover that this is NOT a Kenny Chesney concert. It's country fest! A notoriously drunken debacle of the country type. Sorted tales have been told of vomit, fighting and arrests of the inebriated crowd. 

I immediately tried to think of excuses not to attend. Not to "show up". I'm not good in this kind of environment- I can't handle that scene!

You see, I have a tendency to view the world as black or white. As good or bad. As acceptable and unacceptable. 

Country fest=unacceptable 

All I talked about the week preceding it was my anxiety about going. I was so worried about navigating this environment filled with alcohol and debauchery and coming out alive. 

The thing is, I've been known to overindulge in situations like this. Peer pressure and me- it's not pretty. 

Again- black or white, all or nothing. I tend to go for all. 

But- I went. I showed up. 

I drank (beer then water then beer etc etc) and I ate. I laughed and danced and I sat around with a fabulous group of women and talked about life. 

And ya know what, I was fine! I was neither black nor white. I sat comfortably in the gray. I trusted myself to handle moderation and it worked. 

I had a fabulous time, all because I walked through the anxiety and worry, showed up and trusted myself! 

The good things in life exist beyond our fears- take a deep breath, close your eyes, and trust yourself enough to walk through it!

Lessons learned at country fest:
Show up!
Embrace the gray in life!
Moderation rocks!
And Kenny Chesney has a great bum!




No comments:

Post a Comment