Monday, August 10, 2015

"It was then that I carried you"


Most of you are probably familiar with the Footprints poem. It's always been one that I liked- mostly because it's in reference to the beach and I love all things beachy ❤️

About a year ago, this poem took on new meaning for me.

Last May, my father died unexpectedly of a heart attack at the age of 66. Talk about a "turn your world upside down" life event. Much of this past year has been learning to deal and accept our new reality while wading through the complexities of grief. However, in all that have been amazing blessings and lessons. This one is my most favorite...

In the moments, days, weeks after my father's death, I was blown away by the outpouring  of love and support from people all around us. Meals and cakes and cards and words and hugs and messages and phone calls and love. It was truly heart- healing. 

A co-worker gave me the "Footprints" poem shortly thereafter. I read it, as I have hundreds of times before. Except this time, that last line- "It was then that I carried you" took on a whole new meaning for me. 

I realized that it was the outpouring of love that had carried me through this tragic life event. Kept me floating in those rough waters.

 That the "I" in the poem (who was meant to be God) was the love that surrounded me. The people in my life that stepped up and stepped out to show me that love. 

 "God is love". This is the basis of most every religion. I've always been a faithful person. And yet, I didn't "get it" until I saw it at work in my own life.

God is love, but we are the bearers of that love and care and compassion. We are His love and His light in action. That's why He is always with us- because really it's a WE!

And frankly, even if you don't believe in God- it's hard not to believe in people and even harder to deny Love. 

This aha moment had such a profound impact on me, I felt the need to tattoo the words on myself. Not shocking, I tend to be dramatic!



Since that day, I've made it a point to notice and appreciate all the things that carry me- that keep me afloat on this journey. 

Some days it's a friend offering to take my kids so I can get some work done.

Some days, it's family- putting aside their "to-dos" to help you with yours. Or rearranging their schedule to help out with the kids.

Sometimes it's a perfectly timed phone call, funny comment, or song on the radio.

These moments, big and small, carry me.

 Noticing them, acknowledging them, and showing gratitude for them allows me to appreciate all the good that surrounds us and helps to quiet the noise of life. 

I encourage you to look at your own life, what helps carry you? 

I think you'd be surprised at all you find ❤️ 

1 comment: