Monday, August 24, 2015

The other side of "back to school"

For the past 12 years "back to school" has been mostly about me. About a new year, a new caseload, a new adventure. When I can't sleep on "back to school eve"- it's because I'm anticipating the excitement and energy of the First Day of School!

This year, however, this year- all that changes drastically.

This year my boy starts kindergarten. This year, my boy joins ME at MY school and starts kindergarten.

Separation of church and state no more.

 He will walk down the halls I've traveled for the past 9 years. My friends and colleagues will become his teachers. My students will become his friends. 

I've known this was coming. We attended K orientation in May and even moved to the district! But somehow, the gravity of all of this has escaped me- until now...

There are supply lists and directions that need to be followed. There are letters from teacher. There are bus routes and schedules that need to be organized. 

Suddenly, back to school isn't  just about me anymore!

I will now share my day, my building, my school with a walking, talking piece of my heart. 

I can't help but wonder what will happen to all the lines I drew in the sand anticipating this co-mingling. 

Will I peek in at him at lunch and help him open his snack? Will I watch him on the playground as he learns the expectations of kindergarten? Will my heart burst as I watch him learn when I'm  in his class for inclusion?

Separation of church and state was so much easier to handle!

The women who planned my bridal shower and baby shower, who showed up at my house after my boy was born, who have given me mom-marriage- and life advice will now be entrusted with the care and education of my boy. They will sit across from me at parent-teacher conference and hand me tissues as I listen to the wonderful (or terrible!) things he's done.

My boy will get on the bus on September 2nd and begin a magical journey. 

He will walk down the halls I've loved for 9 years and meet the most amazing people I'm lucky to call friends and colleagues. 

They will smile and welcome him- because that's what they do.

 They will nurture and teach- because that's what they do. 

He will sit in assemblies and music and art and go on field trips.
 He will make friends and get his feelings hurt.
He will get boo-boos on the playground and bellyaches at lunch. 
 He will laugh and learn and grow. 

He will fall in love the building I've loved for almost 9 years...
 
and I get a balcony seat to watch it all. 

My heart will burst seeing this magic!

So while separation of church and state was so much easier- it's the hard stuff in life that brings the good stuff. 

I don't think I'll be much help at bus duty on September 2nd, Mrs. Brooks- I'll be the mom sobbing in the corner!

1 comment:

  1. You'll both do great! Tyler and I started at "our" school together, then he left and now it's just "my" school. Different perspective, and more emotional at the end than the beginning. Now this year he'll be cutting ties a bit more since he won't ever have reason to take the bus over.

    ReplyDelete