Sunday, November 8, 2015

Mindfulness and Creationism

I wasn't planning on writing this week and then I realized some of you may be disappointed beyond measure and so I felt compelled...

This Saturday I had the pleasure of attending a professional development workshop run by a friend from high school, Tracy Affanso,  entitled "Mindfulness in the Classroom". It. Was. Awesome. 

Not only did I get to attend the PD with one of my BFF's having some really great conversations (and gossip) but I was also privileged to be surrounded by teachers trying to incorporate this very important topic in their crazy, busy, overwhelmed day. 

It sort of felt like we're all on some noble mission of good. I'm sure there is a Star Wars analogy for this- I'll have to ask my husband. But I digress...

The workshop was amazing and I came away energized and ready to try some new things. Two points really resonated with me:

"It's practical, it's not magical" 
Tracy had said this at the beginning of the morning and I just loved it. I think in life we look at a new idea, program, curriculum, diet, fitness program and think it's just going to be magic! Then we get frustrated and disenfranchised when it's not. When the kids don't learn to decode through osmosis, when you don't loose 15 lbs by taking the magic pills, when the squishy seat and heavy work don't suddenly make Mr. Ants in his Pants sit on the rug. 

There is no magic pill or program. What we have are strategies.

Using mindfulness techniques will help our kiddos reduce anxiety, learn to take a deep breath and notice the people and things all around them. It may help to break their thoughts of a rough morning or the video game they are going to play when they get home and bring their brain back to math. These are things I didn't learn until I was in my 30's. What a gift it would be to give to our students this, the gift of NOW!

But- "it's not magical- it's practical" and a practice (refer to last weeks blog post :)

"Your kids will learn mindfulness if you are also mindful".

This one hit home. Much like the post I wrote several weeks ago about "you can't give your children what you don't have". This one puts a mirror in front of your behavior and forces you to look. 

Many times, I'll gather a group of kids for speech therapy pull out, get them situated at my table, give directions, take attendance, check my email, write a note to a parent- all at the same time! I believe it's called multi-tasking, and a side effect of a very busy schedule, but it's still not ok. I'm not really  with them while I'm doing 10 other things.
So how can I expect my group to mindfully participate in my lesson when I am not mindfully participating in my lesson?

Ouch- I've got work to do there! Luckily, I can start first thing tomorrow morning.

This workshop could have been a week long and it wouldn't have been enough time to fully explore this topic. But my brain is going in a Mindful direction now and there's power in inertia! Stay tuned...

And now: creationism. 
I'm not too crafty or artsy or creative. 

At least that's what I would have said in my fixed mindset!

This summer I (under the guidance and close supervision of my sister-in-law) refinished an old bureau into an amazing TV stand and it came out ah-maze-ing 




And now I've been bitten by the bug of creativity!
 
I have a pre- Christmas season gift making extravaganza planned and it all began today...

Now I realize this doesn't look like much...yet, but will be remarkable! And save me $40 I would have spent on Etsy. For me, the key to crafting is to find a teacher, a mentor, a coach. Someone who knows what's the f they are doing to help you along the way. 

And isn't that just a good idea in life anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment