Friday, October 16, 2015

TV Time Out

I don't recall where that saying came from but I have a feeling it was from the 80's...

This week, I was blessed enough to take a TV time out with my hubby.

I tagged along on a work trip with him to Miami for a few days.

Life's been a lot this year. We sold a house, bought a house, settled into a house, works been nutso- there hasn't been much time for fun and games. So when Eric mentioned Miami- it seemed like the perfect medicine.

We arranged care for the kids (so grateful for my village!) and off we went. 

And for 3 days, I got to be Laurie, wife of Eric and that's all. For 3 days I didn't need to worry about potty training or poop. School lunch or karate. I got to just be. 

We biked in the rain and took an impromptu speed boat tour around Miami. We drank at the pool and walked to dinner. We talked (not about the kids),  we discussed the future , we sat in silence. We read, we napped. We drank some more.


As much as I love structure and routine, taking a break from that is critical to balance. It's yin to a yan. A little black and white, mixing in a lovely shade of gray. 

A few weeks ago there was a graphic going around Facebook. It was a picture of a cup with water and the analogy was that a cup with water gets heavy if you keep holding it, so put it down. Put down your worries and your burdens and walk away for a bit. 


Another one I've seen is of an empty cup. You can't pour into others' cups if yours is empty.

And then there is the famous "oxygen mask" analogy. Put yours on first.

Much time has been spent lately playing tag-team. I'm here and he's there, he's here and I'm there. Whose on first anyway?! And all this is a necessity when there are two working parents at home. 

This time out, this re-connection helped me fill my cup (or put it down- choose your analogy). It allowed me to breath with the help of my oxygen mask. It reminded me that I really do like my husband!

And I know I will go home and be a better mother, wife, speech pathologist and friend all because of this TV time out. 

I will return to my meal prep and workout schedule. To bed times and alarm clocks. To homework and bed time stories. And even to potty training with grace and gratitude. 

Reality is- this isn't a frequent occurrence.  We don't have the luxury of escaping every month or even every year!

My goal for returning home is to find little ways to time out on a regular basis (and less expensively) than a trip to South Beach. Because putting myself on the list and making my marriage a priority isn't selfish- it's necessary. 

Until next time darling, but for now, tag- you're it, 'cause I've got to go grocery shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment